Military Service Recognition Book

105 ONTARIO COMMAND EXON, Albert G. Albert was born on July 4, 1925 in Forest Hill, Ontario. He joined the Royal Canadian Air Force on February 4, 1943 and served in Canada and England with Bluenose Squadron 434, #6 Bomber Group in Croft Yorkshire and Squadron 149 in Terrace, BC. Albert was discharged on September 8, 1945. He has been a member of Aurora Legion Branch 385 for two years. FAGAN, Albert Albert was born in Detroit, Michigan, USA on March 16, 1925. He joined the Canadian Navy in 1943 and served as Able Seaman aboard HMCS Toronto stationed in Halifax, Nova Scotia. His ship transported troops to Bermuda for training. After his discharge in 1945, Albert was awarded the 1939-45 Star, the War Medal 1939-45 and the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal. After the war, Albert returned to Newbury, Ontario where he met his future wife Emily with whom he had four children. He joined the Sir Arthur Currie Legion Branch 116 in Strathroy in 1955 and was awarded his Life Membership in 1988. On June 1, 1988, he became President of Branch 116 and on October 31, 1988, he became a Canadian citizen. Albert died on May 16, 1989 while he was still President of Sir Arthur Currie Legion Branch 116 and had been with the Branch for thirty years. EYRE, Samuel A. “Sam” Sam was born in England on March 13, 1880. He enlisted in 1898 and was a dispatch rider during the Boer War. He could ride a horse on its side so the enemy would think the horse was just a runaway. He suffered a wound close to his eye and was awarded the Queen Victoria Medal. After his discharge in 1901, he joined the circus and was in charge of the elephants. Later, he was headlined on trapeze as the catch-man and was also a tightrope champion in Canada at the Canadian National Exhibition. Sam also served in World War I from 1914-1918 and in World War II from 1939-1945 in Canada, Africa and on the high seas. Sam was a Company Sergeant Major with the Queen’s Own Rifles. He was a member of Port Perry Legion Branch 419 for fifteen years before he passed away on November 15, 1972.