Military Service Recognition Book

121 ONTARIO COMMAND GOHEEN, Peter Joseph “Joe” Joe was born on November 28, 1929 in Newmarket, Ontario. He was known as Joseph Goheen until he legally changed his name to Peter in 1965. He joined the Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers on February 10, 1956 and served as a vehicle mechanic technician in Gagetown, Borden, Kingston, Meaford as well as in Germany and Egypt as part of the United Nations Forces. Upon retirement from the Army on November 28, 1973, he joined the Canadian Corps of Commissionaires and later found employment as a bus driver at the Ontario School for the Deaf in Belleville, Ontario. Married with one son, he collected Occupied Japan china, glassware and antiques. Joe was a member of Trenton Legion Branch 110 for fifty-two years before he passed away on December 31, 2011. GRAFF, Wilbert W. Wilbert was born on February 25, 1922 in Grayson, Saskatchewan. He enlisted in November 1942 and trained as an anti-aircraft gunner in British Columbia then was posted to Prince Rupert to gun sights around the city on lookout duty for fear of a Japanese invasion. Their signalling device to the vessels was Morse Code. After two years, he was sent to England to train as an Infantry soldier, was transferred to Belgium then went on mortar courses in England. The war ended shortly after and he went to Holland on occupational duties. Discharged on March 15, 1946, Wilbert worked in a lumber mill, sugar refinery and carpentry factory before moving back to Saskatchewan as the FarmManager for the Federal Ministry of Agriculture where he worked from 1948-1951. He then joined the RCAF and retired in 1972 from 8 Wing in Trenton. In 1962, he purchased a farm outside Stirling, Ontario where he still resides with his wife Eva and he has been a member of Stirling Legion Branch 228 for forty-six years. GOOBIE, Nehemiah B. “Myer” Myer was born on April 7, 1921 in St. John, New Brunswick. He joined the Army on August 22, 1939 and served as a Private with the Carleton and York, 1st Special Service Force in Canada, England and Central Europe. He recalls getting injured in Italy in 1943 when his unit was trying to take the town of Ortona. It was house-to-house, hand-to-hand combat as the Germans were well fortified and shelling the unit pretty heavily while they were in the building. He ran out the door and an 88mm shell hit right in front of him, killing five of his buddies and throwing him up in the air against the building on the other side. His legs suffered an injury and he was treated at the 1st Field Dressing Station then at the General Hospital. The Regiment was 990 men and they lost a lot of good men that day. Myer was discharged in November 1945. After the war, Myer served with Metro Police and has been a member of Todmorden Legion Branch 10 for sixty-six years.