193 www.on.legion.ca ONTARIO COMMAND MARION, Gerard S. Gerard was born in Cornwall, Ontario on October 22, 1954. He enlisted in the Army on June 24, 1976 with the Canadian Brigade Group and Signals Squadron at CFB Calgary. He was trained as a radio operator and it helped him in his civilian life as a federal and municipal civil servant. Gerard was discharged on September 21, 1978 and has been a member of Thessalon Legion Branch 182 for one year. MAYER, George E. George was born in Montreal, Quebec on October 5, 1940. After three and onehalf years in Air Cadets, he joined the RCAF Primary Reserve as an Airframe Technician in 1957. Immediately after returning from the 1959 Air Cadet Exchange visit to the UK, he joined the RCAF and started Pilot training. Successfully completing courses at Centralia, Penhold and Portage la Prairie, he was awarded the RCAF Pilots Wings and the Queen’s Commission. His first flying tour was the Air Navigation School in Winnipeg flying the Beechcraft 18 and C47 Dakota. He then served two tours of duty with the UN, first at 115 ATU EI Arish, Egypt and then 134 ATU Sana, Yemen for which he received the UNEF and UNYOMMedals. He also served with 412 VIP Transport Squadron Ow. and 405 Squadron in Greenwood, Nova Scotia. Retiring on November 13, 1982, he was subsequently awarded the Bar to the Canadian Forces Decoration, the Special Service Medal for flying in support of NATO/NORAD and the Canadian Peacekeeping Service Medal. He has been a member of Montgomery Legion Branch 351 for a year. MARZIALI, Lorne J. Lorne was born in St. Mary’s, Ontario on June 8, 1922. He enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force in 1942 and served during World War II. Prior to the war, Lorne had a good working knowledge of engines before joining the military and he wanted to use that while serving in uniform. He joined the Air Force as an Aero-engine technician and learned the basics at Royal Canadian Air Force Station Clinton before being posted to Station Trenton for a year, followed by a stint at Station Charlottetown. After his discharge in 1945, Lorne returned to St. Mary’s and eventually opened his own very successful garage that is still going strong today.