Apply for your Licence Plate Today
Who Is Eligible
The new Veteran licence plate is available to those who have honourably served in:
- Served in the Canadian Armed Forces, including Reserve Forces, the forces of the Commonwealth, or its wartime allies;
- Served in the Merchant Navy or Ferry Command during wartime;
- Currently serving members of the Canadian Forces including Reserve Forces;
- Served in NATO operations or as a member of United Nations peacekeeping force as a member of a Canadian police service;
- Currently serving or retired members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police;
- Served in the Vietnam War in the forces of the United States or its allies during this war and who was a Canadian citizen at the time of such service.
How to Order
First, applicants can obtain an "Application for Veteran Plate Eligibility Certification" form from any Drivers and Vehicles Licence Issuing Office, listed in the blue pages of your local phone book. You may also download your form here or on the Ministry of Transportation's Web site (www.mto.gov.on.ca).
Second, to verify their service, applicants are asked to complete this form and attach photocopies of their:
- Copy of Canadian Forces discharge certificate, Certificate of Service (or equivalent for Merchant Navy or allies), if retired; or ND175 CF ID Card
- "Canadian Forces Identification Card ND120," if still serving
- RCMP ID Card
- Police Personnel - Letter from applicant's police service confirming his/her involvement NATO operation or United Nations mission
Vietnam Service - Statement of service or discharge certificate showing service in Vietnam during the Vietnam War in the United States Forces or the forces of its allies during this war and proof of Canadian citizenship at the time of service ( Canadian birth certificate or citizenship document, which shows date of becoming a Canadian citizen.)
Send the completed form with a $5.00 cheque or money order payable to the Royal Canadian Legion, Ontario Provincial Command, to cover administrative costs, plus photocopied service information, and a self-addressed stamped envelope to:
The Royal Canadian Legion
Ontario Provincial Command
89 Industrial Parkway North
Aurora, Ontario L4G 4C4
Ontario Command may need up to three weeks to verify the information and return an approved form.
Ontario values Veterans' contribution, dedication and commitment to serving and protecting our country. To honour their contribution, veterans can exchange their current plates or obtain the new veteran licence plate at no charge, once their service has been verified by the Legion. Sample veteran plates reading "000 VET," for display or gift purposes only (i.e., prohibited from being attached to a vehicle), are also available at no charge to veterans whose service has been verified by the Legion.